Its hazardous to you to ingest because of what’s called osmotic shock. Your body on a cellular level is balanced to a degree by the quantity of salt that your cells have in them. However, the absence of salt in it makes this movement occur VERY fast, as the body starts to try to reach equilibrium, if you drink DI water. I am sure that the salt movement is so fast and has very much force behind it that the cell walls basically explode from the shock, that of course kills the cells. Nonetheless, back to osmotic shock -your cellular walls allow the free passage of water and salt through them. What you were not told is that tap water will do EXACTLY identical thing. Essentially, on the face of it one could conclude that drinking beer is safer than drinking water but my wife still won’t buy that one.
When they give you fluid intravenously, in hospital they give you normal saline.
‘de ionized’ water or distilled water go ahead, if you need to drink tap water.
That is salty water that has had its osmotic pressure adjusted to match blood. The difference between the osmotic pressure of blood and tap water, ‘deionized’ water and distilled water are almost identical. It is while normal saline is safe and should not cause your blood to explode or your stomach to bleed it makes a terrible cup of tea. Therefore, the responses predicting dire consequences are absolutely correct. Just think for a moment. Now for quite a bit of the story. Osmotic shock is a real phenomenon and it will lyse cells. That my be bad. The thing as a rule of a thumb, not do is inject any of them into your bloodstream. Fact, all three will lyse cells to similar degree. Needless to say, you can do it by using anion and cation exchange resins in lots of configurations.
You can remove the ions in heaps of ways.
Deionized’ water is water in which the ions was removed.
In top cases this will give you 17 megohm water which is very pure. Distillation will do the same thing. Oftentimes the third commonly used technique is dual reverse osmosis which can also give you ultra pure water. Under ain’t lots of difference between them except that anion and cation exchange resins may not remove any colloidal silica that may was in the feed water. At the other end of the scale, distilled water does not have any colloidal silica and is bacteriologically pure as well. As for the expiration date which seems silly but isn’ DI water is very low in ions and as Tom Baker pointed out it’s hungry for ions.
In time it will leach ions from the container so So it’s less de ionized as time goes on.
Most other contaminants are not particularly troublesome in cooling systems, as scaling does not generally occur.
Carbonates have a fairly narrow range of solubility in water with respect to temperature, and as you cool the water close to and below freezing or heat the water as it reduces water flow in the system as well as insulates the heat exchange capabilities of a cooling/heating system. Theory is depending on the fact aragonite has a somewhat more soluble range in water than calcite,, there could be less scaling, This is a controversial treatment, that is said to modify the carbonate component to somehow deposit as aragonite as opposed to the calcite structure of typical scale.
One method is to employ very strong magnets on the feed water. Nonetheless there was a normal quantity of precipitated minerals in the system, the minerals did not seem to scale on the ID of the system, As a materials scientist I am fundamentally skeptical of this process but in all honesty I did place a certain amount these on a large evaporative cooling process. In an evaporative cooling situation look, there’s still the significant problem of minerals being concentrated in the water from evaporative loss of the water, So there’s usually would redissolve, The net effect is markedly reduced scaling in a system as long as sodium and potassium carbonates are very soluble in water over a variety of temperatures and pH.
Soluble chemicals=no scale.
It is very difficult to work with.
Ultrapure water must be stored in nickel or tin oxide, sealed tightly against the atmosphere. In the chemistry and analysis industry, distilled+ deionized water is often treated with carbon and identical adsorbent materials to make ultrapure water with is so vacuum degassed. Let me tell you something. Actually the pores in the membranes are tiny can actually filter out molecules, Reverse osmosis is effectively using a very small pored filter for the water. To effectively remove ionic components the water must be pretreated to flocculate scaling materials before treatment. For example, another method of removing scale potential is reverse osmosis. Tap water is also hypotonic to cells. Any ultrapure water you drink will quickly dissolve some saliva from your mouth since it has dissolved few parts per million it’s no longer ultrapure anyway. Your skin stomach intestinal linings are perfectly suited for thriving in and processing water. Then, cells should die, I’d say if you were to inject water into your blood. It’s true, water is hypotonic to cells will destroy them, as far as the health issue is concerned.
Actually the exposed cells do die, I’d say in case you cut your skin wash the wound. Fats that lyse out of the exposed wound quickly makes the wound less susceptible to water damage.